Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Update: Somehow it is 2013

Hey friends! Just wanted to do a quick update because things are changing and I look forward to sharing it all with you.  I was laid off from my position as of Dec. 31. All managers at my level were also laid off, so it wasn't due to anything I did or didn't do. However, it was a shock and has prompted me to do a lot of soul searching.

Here is the thing: I don't want to do what I've always done...which is to run, run, run to the quickest, most tolerable salary. I just have this feeling that this is my time to try something else. This blog will remain a blog of personal process. How will my experiments pan out? When will I get frustrated? Where will I go to try myself anew? Why this and not that? What does it all mean?

My new blog, http://kchapmangibbons.wordpress.com/ will be pointedly focused on politics, current events and news. Sometimes, I'll be Lois Lane and just give you the facts and sometimes, I'll be more pundit-y. I'm hoping to use Big Blue Dot Y'all to get into additional media. Of course, I am very active on FB, Twitter and Linked In--but I want to be on the radio, to do podcasts, to get published. I should have gone into broadcasting/communications about 20 years ago...but, it truly is never too late.

As to the rest of my beautiful life, the kids are smart, healthy, funny and talented. The hubs and I are doing very well...learning and laughing a lot. We are staying in Nashville for the foreseeable future.

Stay tuned folks...

2 comments:

  1. "I don't want to do what I've always done...which is to run, run, run to the quickest, most tolerable salary." I know this feeling, but I find myself seeing this kind of behavior as my only out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...I am just fighting the urge. Every (well-meaning) person I know is sending my jobs that I'm qualified (over-qualified) for and while it is thoughtful--it just stiffens my resistance. I have been telling students for years to trust in their own ability to make the life they want. I want to take heed of my own advice. And if I'm just being foolish, I can always get certified to teach in public schools or ESL.

    ReplyDelete