Friday, December 3, 2010

Keep your eyes open...

There are always plenty of good reasons to keep your eyes closed.  Denial can work for a while...and for some people...it can work a lifetime.  I was never one of those people.  I don't close my eyes to horrible things, gory things, things that make your heart hurt...I just don't want to miss a thing.  

When I was a child, I could hardly bear to think about children who didn't have enough to eat or who were not safe in their homes...it broke me and made me question my faith...even at a very young age.  I just couldn't get why if God was so powerful...why couldn't God just take care of broken people?  And when I was older and read Job..the quandary got even more cloudy.  I really don't want to write about religion today....or politics...or runny noses.

I just want to say that we always have a choice--we can open our eyes wide and take it all in--even if it feels like it might overwhelm us--or we can shut them tight and pretend.  It is a choice we make every moment.  I urge you to risk seeing it all.  Today is a day when all I see is overwhelming and I feel as if I might not be able to bear much more weight...but I will not be a denier.  I will not be a person who lives in La La land.  I will not robotically repress my emotions and fears and pretend that all is well. 

It isn't well for millions of people all over the world and it isn't well for me and mine either right now.  And no one has to remind me that things will get better for me and mine...I know how time works...but, I beg you to open your eyes until it hurts and do something to ease the suffering of someone today.  Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment